This is very good news and has been in place since September 17th, 2012.
So for all Canadians living in Mexico you now have a shorter simpler form with no guarantor required and citizenship and identity documents not required.
To be eligible for simplified renewal:
– you must have been at least 16 years of age at the time of your previous application
– your name on the application form is exactly as it appears on page 2 of the submitted passport
– you must submit a previous Canadian passport that was/is valid for five (5) years, is not damaged, was never reported lost or stolen and is still valid or expired for no more than one year.
If you are eligible to use the simplified renewal process, you need only provide:
– a completed Simplified Renewal Passport Application (PPTC 482)
– you most recent passport
– the required fee and
– two recent photos*
* The new photos do not need to be signed by anyone. However, the name and address of the photographer or studio, as well as the date the photos were taken, must be provided on the back of one photo.
Please visit http://www.passportcanada.gc.ca/info/ren.aspx?lang=eng®ion=international to download the simplified for and for more information.
Evidently you can now renew your passport for 5 or 10 years. The fee for 5 years is approx. $190.00 Canadian or $2,240.00 Pesos or 10 years $260.00 Canadian or $3,070.00 Pesos
You can email firstname.lastname@example.org to get more information about current rates at the time of applying.
You can either take your application and receipt for payment to the Canadian consulate in Guadalajara or send it to: PPT Office, Canadian Embassy, Schiller #529, Chapultepec, Polanco, Mexico D.F. C.P. 11560 and enclose everything that is required plus a prepaid waybill (Fedex, DHL, UPS) or your passport will be returned by registered mail.
It takes approximately 20 business days for this renewal process.
When you download your simplified renewal passport form you will also need the list of acceptable photographers in the area and the 5 page instruction sheet.
Any other questions contact Ana Lilia Bara at the above email address and she will be most helpful in assisting you to get your new passport post haste.